Tuesday, February 20, 2007

'Weaving' a new understanding

So I heard about this play going on at the University nearby and since I had nothing better to do, decided to check it out. I've always liked plays and this was an original by Dianne Yeahquo Reyner titled 'Weaving the Rain'. I don't know much about Native American culture, but apparently they have their own theatre company in Kansas.

Anyway, the play deals with many issues relevant to all people in society. Some issues touched on were assimilation, family dynamics, and relations between Native Americans and non-Native Americans. The focus was on family, dealing with a family member in the hospital, and not knowing what will happen. It forced the characters to examine their lives and how they came to be where they are. This could happen to anyone from any background, but I found it interesting to view the issues the Native American community faces, as I've never really thought about them.

This was a piece of historical fiction. As I was watching, I tried to pick out what aspects were historically accurate from those that were made up. Since Reyner is a Native American, I figure she probably has a good understanding of the struggles the community faces on a daily basis.

Reyner set up the play well. I really liked the dialogue. Though the subject matter was sad, the humor of the dialogue off-set the seriousness of the situation. Each character also had a distinct identity, representing a different aspect of the culture. The mom represented the generation that was sent to boarding school. One of the sons was an alcoholic attempting to get clean. The other son stayed home to take care of his aging parents. The daughter represented the group that assimilated, breaking away from the culture to attend college and find a better job. It was interesting to see how each of their choices affected the family, and the way they viewed one another. Plus, some Native American songs were incorporated. I thought it was a nice touch, and the program even explained the meaning of each one, showing how it fit with the play.

No comments: