Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Creative Non-Fiction, Eye Opening!

As far as what I thought about this current issue of Our Roots are Deep with Passion, I just think it is absolutely great. One of the girls that I work with at the library gave me a link on this creative non-fiction journal that she suggested would help me with this writers block I have been having. I am not sure what exactly did it for me that got me out of this writing depression, but I have this magazine to thank! I wonder what gets others out of this rut, is it just a particular story, or a person that makes a lasting impression, I would be curious to know what others do to deal with this blockage?
I really loved the first story; it made me think of what life would really be like without such a dependency on water. What first caught my attention was the title of the first story, ’Mbriago. Come to find out as I read the short story it means drunk, mainly referring to the narrator’s grandfather. The story goes on to talk about the grandfather and how he was subjected to only drinking wine, mostly because water was so costly and wine was cheap, and abundant. He only did what he thought was normal, and that led the author to think that was normal. In the end the narrator tells a neighbor that the smell that her grandfather left in her mind was that of wine, of course.
This story was so lively and created some emotion for me. Ironically the narrator/author said that she also had a drinking obsession as her grandfather. I too had a grandfather whose life was consumed with a bottle in hand. In high school I struggled to be in the “it” crowd, always trying to impress. Drinking came to be an outlet for me; whenever I went to one of the cool parties on the weekend I would be the one who had too much to drink. I am sure that many of my classmates thought of that alcohol smell when they saw me staggering into the party. I wonder if those kids still talk about those parties and my stupidity?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Julia,

I never considered creative non-fiction as an outlet for inspiration; typically I find myself reading non-fiction only when I absolutely must. For one reason or another I’ve gotten the idea in my mind that the genre is just something boring to get through. However, the journal you read sounds like something I ought to check out to change this view.

You asked what others do when they have writers block. This is something I seem to struggle with more often than not, but I keep returning to writing despite its frustrations as I love the feeling I get when an idea surges through me that just begs to be written down and shared with others. Sometimes I find that going for a walk or run allows my mind to wander, but I have to be careful not to go into it with the thought that I must get past my writers block by the time I’ve finished. This pressure to write is sometimes what keeps words and ideas from flowing. (Though, conversely I feel that a deadline is the most effective way to get myself to sit down and start writing.) Additionally, I’ve found that watching movies I’ve never seen before gets me thinking. Recently, I went to see The Holiday (would definitely recommend it, but that’s a side note!) with a group of friends. On the drive home from the theater, we were discussing themes and messages that came out in the movie and when I was home I wanted to continue that discussion thread in my writing. Interestingly enough, I’ve found that this really doesn’t work with movies that I’ve already seen, perhaps because I know the plot well enough that I don’t engage with it quite as much. Give these ideas a shot next time you’re feeling stuck; especially the watching a movie one as it’s a worthwhile excuse for a little fun and I think a little different than some of the other suggestions out there. (I must admit going for a walk or run is a bit cliché, but hey if it works…). Best of luck!

Anonymous said...

I've never considered creative non-fiction to be boring. There is so much crazy shit going on in the world...how could there not be something interesting to write about?!

In response to the previous person's comment: The Holiday is not a good movie (and just because Jack Black is in it does not mean it is funny)

Inspiration? Have you tried dropping acid. Just kidding. I look to other written work for inspiration. Usually i return to something I have already read before and love...i try to figure out what is working in that person's story and consider ways i could apply it to my own. However, most of the time, inspiration is something that just falls out of the sky and strikes you on the head. Just make sure you always have pen and paper handy so you can write it down.

Anonymous said...

What do I use to fight writer's block? Drugs (specifically acid) do wonders for the imagination. But exercise is nice too. If acid and exercise dont work try reading an especially inspirational piece of writing (you seem to have done this with the non-fiction piece). I return to my favorite authors and my favorite books and will re-read a favorite line or excerpt from their work...hoping to figure out what they do that works so well. Sometimes inspiration can just strike naturally...just make sure you write it down when it comes.

I personally feel creative non-fiction can be just as inspirational as fiction. Bill Bryson, Jon Krakauer, and Martin Troost all write creative non-fiction that gets me psyched!

Everyone makes a drunken fool of themself every now and again--dont feel too bad.