Wednesday, April 25, 2007

I was searching around online when I found a very interesting blog about graphic novels. I have had a small fascination with graphic novels for some time but never have I really dove into a complete series, just reading here and there. This goes along with comic books as well, I’ve only skimmed the surface but I found it to be something really worth looking into. I think that it used to be that comics were for kids or “geeks” but more and more I think that graphic novels and comics are becoming more recognized for their originality and artistic worth, not just for kids anymore. So I was really interested when I found Graphic Novel Review. The site is updated fairly frequently and has a lot of very in-depth and easy to read reviews and impressions about graphic novels and comics alike. The sites motto is “a look at book-length comics for the casual reader.” Exactly what I was looking for.

I was very much impressed not only with the ability and great journalistic review, but with the wide breath of types and styles of comics that the administrator (ominously only noted as Joey) reads and reviews. The blog covers everything from new animae that has just been translated all the way to classics such as Popeye. And Joey’s description in itself is very artistic in nature, he/she is able to identify the most important aspects of the comics but doesn’t give away the ending or any of the meat of the comic, all the while discussing the moments that cause he/she to pause and enjoy the simple beauty and haunting stillness that a comic or graphic novel can convey. The nice thing about graphic novels is that its part text and part art, and enough of both that you can convey more feeling and meaning with them together than you can if they are kept separate. It’s almost like TV, but keeps its heart, its almost like a film, but doesn’t need a big budget or any of the other things that people complain about films not having but books do.

I was very impressed with the site and I’m hoping to keep track of it as much as I can and see what wonderful things Joey is able to dig up or bring to his/her readers attention.

3 comments:

Joey Manley said...

Thanks for the kind words! I'm a he!

Anonymous said...

I agree that the graphic novel is a form of artistic expression that is too often overlooked. It can be just as powerful and as important as other more commonly accepted forms of artistic expression such as the traditional novel or even poetry. One thing that does set it apart is the fact that it has the ability to reach an audience that the more traditional forms cannot. It seems that not until recently has the graphic novel begun to receive the attention and recognition as a legitimate form of artistic expression that it deserves.

Anonymous said...

Graphic Novels were akin to headgear when I was growing up, and I agree with you that they have made serious headway in the last few years, especially with money-makers like Blankets. I like to think that Graphic Novels is the categorical equivalent to visual poetry; they use words and images to make a more tangible representation of characters, settings, actions and moods. I appreciate the link and hope to find more quality Grafic. in the future. Cheers.